Healthy BiscottiL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This simple, traditional Easter cake contains a mix of strong and all-purpose flours, with a dough that's scented with orange zest. You'll need a colomba (dove-shaped) pan in order to make it the authentic way. This version is simply spinkled with granulated and powdered sugars before baking. Others are topped with almonds, too. Some contain candied citrus zest, so go ahead and swap it for the fresh zest if you prefer.
- 350 grams flour
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams butter
- 10 grams cream of tartar
- 5 grams baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk (as needed)
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Combine the sugar with the flour, make a well in the center and add the butter, cream of tartar, baking soda, eggs, and vanilla extract. Slowly add enough milk until the dough is soft.
- 3Shape the dough into a loaf approximately 50 centimeters in length and flatten the top.
- 4Grease a baking sheet with butter, cut the loaf in half, and place the two pieces on the baking sheet slightly apart.
- 5Bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden.
- 6Remove them from the oven and let cool completely.
- 7Slice the loaves and place the biscotti (approximately 30 biscotti) on the baking sheet and return them to the oven to be toasted for a few more minutes.
- 8Remove the biscotti from the oven and let them cool completely before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.