Hazelnut and Strawberry MeringueMarmita
Meringues are familiar and yet fancy enough to be served at even the most special of occasions. Perhaps it's because home cooks tend to shy away from preparing them out of fear of the process (and the potential for collapse), but as this recipe demonstrates, making meringue is not as difficult as it may seem. Patience is a virtue, as you will need to let it cool in the oven for an hour after baking, without prying open the door.
- 4 egg whites
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts (grated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts (grated)
- hazelnuts (to taste)
- 1In a mixer, beat the egg whites on medium speed. Increase to maximum speed and add the sugar (sifted) and pinch of salt.
- 2Whisk until smooth and shiny. A tip from Jamie Oliver: Rub a bit of the whipped whites between fingertips. If still grainy, keep mixing until whites and sugar are smooth and grains of sugar can no longer be felt. Fold the prepared hazelnuts into the whites and combine carefully.
- 3Preheat oven to 300ºF. Place the meringue on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Then, turn off the oven, open the oven door and cool for 1 hour.
- 4Once cool, garnish with mashed strawberries and hazelnuts.