Like a French version of the Italian Lady Fingers, this dainty treat pairs with any tea. Topped with a thin coast of lemon curd, the dense hazelnut cake marries together the tart berries. Stack the cakes on top of one another to create an eye-catching display or serve instead of a biscuit with high tea. Either way everyone will love these zesty bold summer treats.
- 4 large egg whites
- 250 grams butter
- 160 grams powdered sugar
- 90 grams hazelnut (powder)
- 60 grams flour
- chopped nuts
- 2 lemons juice (organic, and zest)
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 80 grams granulated sugar
- 250 grams raspberries
- 250 grams blueberries
- fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- In a small saucepan, melt 180 grams of butter over low heat until it has a slight smell of hazelnut and the butter takes a little amberish colour.
- Filter through a small strainer, and reserve.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, the powdered sugar, and ground hazelnuts.
- Whisk the egg whites with a fork before adding them to the bowl.
- Then gradually add the melted butter, mix well.
- Pour half the mixture into a square pan (20 x 20 centimeters) covered with parchment paper.
- Add the chopped nuts and bake it for about 30 minutes for the financier to become lightly browned.
- Let it cool down before cutting, preferably using a bread knife.
- To make the lemon curd, pour 80 grams of granulated sugar, 2 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, and the juice and zest of 2 lemons in a saucepan.
- Mix and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- From the first boiling add 70 grams of diced butter all at once and mix quickly. Reserve.
- If you have any pieces of cooked egg whites you may pass your curd through a sieve to obtain a smooth result.
- Cut the financial in 3 x 10 centimeter rectangles.
- Top with a layer of lemon curd that isn't too thick.
- Carefully arrange the fruit, mint leaves, and hazelnut chips and sprinkle it with icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|