Made with just five simple ingredients, these Hazelnut Cookies are ready to enjoy in an hour. Made with a mixture of ground hazelnuts that have been lightly toasted and flour, these Hazelnut Cookies have a rich dense crumb. Made with pork lard, these cookies do not require any butter or eggs. After rolling and shaping, the cookies should be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes before baking. Bake time is 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- 200 grams hazelnuts
- 200 grams flour
- 150 grams powdered sugar (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 grams pork lard (melted)
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry skillet for about 20 minutes. When cooled enough to touch, rub them between your fingers to remove the outer skins. Then blend them in a food processor until fine.
- Mix together the hazelnuts, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Start kneading in the melted pork lard. The dough should stick together when you grab a handful but also come apart easily. If it seems too dry, add a little more lard.
- Pour the dough out onto a flat surface and roll it out to a thickness of 1 centimeter. Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut out cookie shapes and lay them on a baking sheet covered with either parchment paper or silicone.
- Refrigerate the cookies for at least 30 minutes to allow the lard to get firm again.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Remove to a baking rack to cool. Once cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.