There are so many cake recipes out there, which can be overwhelming when you want to make a delicious new cake that everyone will enjoy. This recipe for Hazelnut Cake is both sweet and salty. It is a perfect combination of moist cake and salty nuts, and decadent dark chocolate. Be sure to have these on hand so you can wow your friends with your culinary skills the next time you all get together for a delicious date.
- 115 grams butter (softened and a little bit more for the pan)
- 125 grams hazelnuts
- 125 grams superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 1 Orange
- 30 grams flour
- 125 grams ricotta
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 4 tablespoons water
- 50 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa, finely grated)
- Preheat the oven to 380F.
- Butter a 28-centimeter-wide cake pan with a removable bottom. Line it with parchment paper and place it in the refrigerator.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 5 minutes. Let them cool and then grind them into a fine powder with a food processor. You can also put them on a clean kitchen towel and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Beat 115 grams of butter with the sugar. Add the egg yolks one by one, then add the orange zest and stir once more. Add the flour, ricotta, ground hazelnuts, and poppy seeds.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with 1 pinch of salt until they form very stiff peaks, then gently fold them into the previous mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. When the cake is colored on the surface, remove it from the oven and let it cool. You can also check the doneness of the cake by poking the center with a metal skewer. It should come out clean.
- Meanwhile, heat the jam in a small saucepan with the water. Using a brush, gently spread the apricot mixture on the surface of the cake and sprinkle it with finely grated chocolate.