These festive sandwich cookies are just right for a holiday party or dessert buffet, or for wrapping and giving to family and friends. Despite their fancy appearance, they are easy enough for even novice bakers to make, and the dough comes together quickly and calls for just five ingredients, incuding hazelnuts. After cutting all the dough into rounds, half have little star shapes but out of the centers, and then these are layered with jam after baking.
- 240 grams butter
- 250 grams brown sugar
- 200 grams hazelnuts
- 2 eggs
- 500 grams plain flour
- 1Beat butter (room temperature) with sugar and hazelnuts. Add the eggs one by one and beat again. Mix in the flour (sifted) until dough is formed.
- 2Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut the dough into circle shapes. Cut little stars out of the center of half of the circles. Brush with egg, sprinkle with hazelnut, and put on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- 3Bake at 360°F for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- 4Once cooked, spread jam on the full circles and place the circles with star cut-outs on top.
- 5Serve the stars as biscuits as well.