Happy Housewife’s Pea SoupPORK
Recipe courtesy of Darla Shine, author of Happy Housewives. Warm up with this comfort soup after a day of raking leaves or from a late afternoon game.
- 1 ham bone (leftover*)
- 2 cups ham (3/4-inch cubed, about 10 ounces*)
- 2 1/4 cups green split peas (1 pound)
- 6 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 stalks celery (sliced)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrot (thinly sliced)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 bay leaf (large)
- 1 cup croutons (herb-seasoned)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Sort and thoroughly rinse split peas in colander under cold running water. Place peas in stock pot or 4-or 6-quart Dutch oven. Add ham bone and 6 cups of water. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté celery, onions, garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery mixture to pea mixture in soup pot. Stir in 3 cups chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, salt and bay leaf. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until peas are very soft and break apart when mixture is briskly stirred. Stir in ham the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories420Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes