Happy Housewife’s HamPork
Recipe courtesy of Darla Shine, author of Happy Housewives. Serve along side family favorites like mixed greens salad, mashed potatoes, Green Beans with Glazed Onions, Herb-Braised Carrots, and dinner rolls.
- 8 pounds fully cooked bone-in ham
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 onions (large, halved and sliced 3/8-inch thick)
- 4 stalks celery (sliced into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 granny smith apples (cored and sliced)
- 6 carrots (cut into 2-inch pieces and halved lengthwise)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place ham, faced down, on rack in shallow baking pan. Make 6 small slits in surface of ham; push a garlic clove into each slit.
- 3Place carrots, celery, apples, onion, parsley and rosemary around ham in pan. Pour lemon juice over vegetables. Drizzle and rub olive oil over surface of ham. Lightly sprinkle ham with black pepper. Cover pan tightly with heavy foil.
- 4Bake in heated oven for 2 to 3 1/2 hours or until an instant read thermometer instered in thickest portion (not touching bone) register 140 degrees F (about 25 minutes per pound).
- 5Transfer ham to carving board; discard vegetables. Loosely cover ham with foil. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 6Place leftover ham and bone in a tightly covered container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Use for breakfast quiche and pea soup.
PER SERVING *
|Calories660Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.