Recipe courtesy of Darla Shine, author of Happy Housewives. Serve along side family favorites like mixed greens salad, mashed potatoes, Green Beans with Glazed Onions, Herb-Braised Carrots, and dinner rolls.
- 8 pounds fully-cooked bone-in ham
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 onions (large, halved and sliced 3/8-inch thick)
- 4 stalks celery (sliced into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 granny smith apples (cored and sliced)
- 6 carrots (cut into 2-inch pieces and halved lengthwise)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place ham, faced down, on rack in shallow baking pan. Make 6 small slits in surface of ham; push a garlic clove into each slit.
- Place carrots, celery, apples, onion, parsley and rosemary around ham in pan. Pour lemon juice over vegetables. Drizzle and rub olive oil over surface of ham. Lightly sprinkle ham with black pepper. Cover pan tightly with heavy foil.
- Bake in heated oven for 2 to 3 1/2 hours or until an instant read thermometer instered in thickest portion (not touching bone) register 140 degrees F (about 25 minutes per pound).
- Transfer ham to carving board; discard vegetables. Loosely cover ham with foil. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Place leftover ham and bone in a tightly covered container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Use for breakfast quiche and pea soup.