- 12 ounces cavatappi pasta (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Crystal Farms Butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crystal Farms Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (ground)
- 1 tablespoon Crystal Farms Butter (unsalted, melted)
- 1 cup ham (diced)
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
- Cook pasta in boiling water per manufacturer’s directions. Cool the finished cooked pasta in cold water and drain. Toss the drained pasta with a teaspoon of vegetable oil to prevent sticking and reserve until ready to use in a covered container under refrigeration.
- Start making the sauce by melting ½ cup of butter in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the flour to the sauce pan and stir. Continue stirring and cooking until the mixture becomes a light tannish/brown color. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, salt and mustard, then stir or whisk until everything is well incorporated.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer while stirring occasionally. Simmer sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low on the sauce and stir in the shredded Swiss cheese and reserve.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine panko bread crumbs, smoked paprika and melted butter. Mix until the butter is fully dispersed and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a mixing bowl, add pasta, ham, broccoli and sauce, then fold together until everything is well distributed.
- Return pasta mixture to a greased 3 quart casserole dish and top with remaining ½ cup of shredded Swiss cheese.
- Top with panko mixture and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F and the panko mixture is browned.