Who says that you just have to make sandwiches with leftover ham? Give the centerpiece ham a new flavor with this tasty pot pie. Serve with fruit salad.
- 2 cups ham (cubed)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (cubed OR 2 15-oz cans sweet potatoes, drained)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 cup pecans (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté the onion over a medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add fresh* sweet potatoes and 2/3 cup chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. If using canned yams, add them and 2/3 cup chicken broth to sauteéd onion; heat thoroughly. Add flour, stirring. Gradually add milk, stirring until well combined. Add ham. Bring to a boil and transfer mixture to a 7x11 inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. If mixture is too thick, add more broth or milk.
- Unfold crust to round circle; sprinkle pecans on one side. Fold in half and roll with rolling pin, pressing pecans into crust.
- Spread pecan crust on top of mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until crust is brown; sprinkle with thyme.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- * Canned sweet potatoes are precooked.