Ham and Herb Schnitzel with 6-Minute EggPORK
All you need to make this recipe a meal is a pot of good coffee or a pitcher of mimosas. If you feel like experimenting in the kitchen, Richard also recommends whipping 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of Versawhip 600K modified soy protein to make the whipped maple. Versawhip 600K is available from WillPowder at willpowder.com and at amazon.com. You can also vary the herbs in the panko mixture, and swap the asparagus for broccolini…
Recipe courtesy of Top Chef All-Stars Winner Richard Blais.
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup (such as Blis)
- 4 oz. breakfast sausage patty
- 2 Tbsp. onion (finely diced)
- 1 tsp. garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger root (grated)
- 1 tsp. fresh sage (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili paste (such as harissa*)
- 12 spears asparagus (trimmed)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ham steaks (trimmed, about 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Crystal)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley (fresh, finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. fresh tarragon (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Tbsp. lard (manteca, or more if needed)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Whipped Maple: For whipped maple, using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream to stiff peak. Fold in 2 Tbs maple syrup. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Sausage Vinaigrette: For sausage vinaigrette, in a medium skillet over medium heat, combine 4 oz sausage, 2 Tbs onion, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp ginger, and 1 tsp sage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage, until sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbs sherry vinegar, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet. Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Aspargus: For asparagus, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tsp oil and 1 1/2 tsp harissa*. Arrange asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and spread with harissa mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes. Squeeze juice from lemon over asparagus. Cover to keep warm and set aside. *Harissa, a Tunisian chile paste, is available in cans and jars at Middle Eastern markets and specialty food stores.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories730Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes