This quiche recipe is great for young cooks because it introduces many elements used in baking, like breaking eggs and whisking. It's also really fun to watch flat-as-a-pancake dough discs rise in the oven into flaky puffed masterpieces. The individual quiches come together quickly and are easy to personalize; try sprinkling them with herbs, adding your favorite vegetables, or using a different cheese. Serve them with a green salad and lemon vinaigrette for an effortless lunch or dinner. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Ashley Strickland Freeman.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (or rub it with a little oil) and set the puff pastry shells on the pan.
- Bake puff pastry shells until golden and puffed, 18-20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Let pastries stand on the sheet pan until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. With a small spoon, carefully remove the golden part of the center circles without making holes in the pastry (save the golden circles to serve as a snack). If it’s tricky to use the spoon, an adult can remove the golden centers with a small, sharp knife. Press down the revealed soft centers in the pastries to seal the bottom and sides. (Be careful not to poke any holes in the pastry; that could cause the egg mixture to seep out.)
- Sprinkle the cheese and ham evenly into the shells. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until eggs are completely blended. Using a measuring cup as a scoop, slowly pour the egg mixture evenly into the pastry shells. (If you have any extra egg mixture that doesn’t fit, save it to cook as you would scrambled eggs.) If you like, sprinkle each egg cup with chives.
- Bake the quiches until the filling puffs slightly and is set in the center (give the sheet pan a gentle shake; the centers of the quiches should no longer wobble), 20-25 minutes. Let quiches cool 5 minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 days and reheat in a 325° oven until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories760Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.