- 1 bone (I leave meat on the bone while it cooks)
- 5 cups ham (leftover)
- 2 cups navy beans
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 1 onion (large, finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dry)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp. dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh)
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for sautéing vegetables)
PER SERVING *
|Calories470Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Patricia P. 7 Apr
This recipe is very good. I made half the recipe and it filled a 6 quart pot. I did a “fast soak” of my beans, saved the water and added it to the mixture. The extra starch in that water helped to flavor the soup. I added a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese as a garnish which added flavor. I also added a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes which added flavor as well. Very tasty and I will make it again!
vpsgsteve B. 6 Mar
Very good recipe. Used smoked ham shanks. I also added potatoes, parsnips and turnip.
Ron B. 8 Jan
We will find our tomorrow morning. Took the authors advice and experimented. Experimented with a few more ingredients Cook on low for 12 hours over night
Brenda 29 Dec 2017
Easy and tasty Will make it again
mflo 21 Dec 2017
Great way to use up the leftover holiday ham, and the soup is incredibly delicious! Will definitely make again!
Dobba Wagoner 13 Oct 2017
Slurp! Slurp! We ate it up!
Robyn Hoerner 25 Sep 2017
Omg it is absolutely awesome I make it every two weeks now!
Maddie Casanova 14 Aug 2017
Delicious! Will make it again!