Serve with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli.
- 2 1/2 inches ham steak (thick, boneless)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, vegetable, canola or peanut)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup blackberry preserves (or jam)
- 1/8 cup rum
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- To make the blackberry rum glaze, heat a small sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter and when melted, add the blackberry preserves, rum and brown sugar. Stir well. Let the mixture bubble a bit and then add the fresh blackberries.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Heat a frying pan over high heat until very hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Lay the ham steaks in the pan and sear for 2 minutes each side.
- Serve the ham steaks with a drizzle of the blackberry rum sauce.