- 4 ham hocks (skin-on)
- 1/2 celeriac (peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 onions (2 quartered, 1 diced)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/4 pounds red cabbage (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons gravy (powdered, mixed with 2-3 tbsp water)
- potato dumplings (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season the pork then place skin-side down in a roasting pan. Spread the celeriac, carrots and quartered onions around the pork and roast for 1 hour 45 mins-2 hours. Turn the pork over after the first 30 mins and baste occasionally with stock.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan and sauté the diced onion for 3-4 mins. Add the cabbage then cover and simmer for 4-5 mins. Add the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cloves and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer for 15 mins. Add the apple sauce, cover and simmer for an additional 15-20 mins, until the cabbage is tender.
- Remove the pork from the roasting pan and place on a baking sheet. Preheat the broiler then broil the pork for 4-5 mins, until the skin is crispy. Meanwhile, strain the pan juices into a clean saucepan. Discard the solids. Add the gravy mixture to the pan, bring to a boil then simmer, stirring, for 2-3 mins until thickened. Season. Arrange the cabbage on a serving plate and place the pork on top. Serve with the gravy and potato dumplings on the side.
PER SERVING *
|Calories200Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.