- 2/3 cup skim milk powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (diced)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 2 1/4 pounds ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rub the milk powder and butter together until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Mix in the flour, baking powder, cardamom and 1/2 cup of water to form a smooth, stiff dough. Wrap the dough in foil and leave to rest for 3 hours.
- In a heavy saucepan, preheat the oil to 350°F, or until it shimmers. Unwrap the dough and divide into pieces. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured work surface. Pull off walnut-sized pieces, sprinkle with water and roll into balls.
- Place 1 1/4 cups of water and the sugar in a pan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 mins. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Lower the balls into the hot oil in batches. Allow them to sink to the bottom of the pan, they will rise by themselves. Fry for 3-4 mins, turning. They should be golden brown. Carefully remove using a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels and pat off the excess oil using more paper towels.
- Place the warm syrup in a serving bowl and lower in the fritters. Leave to stand for at least 30 mins (1-2 hours is preferable).