This light marbled yeast cake is popular throughout Europe. Baked in a bundt cake pan as is the custom, this version features almonds and rum-soaked raisins, as well as lemon zest. After baking, it's left to cool before it's removed from the mold, spinkled with powdered sugar and sliced. It's the perfect accompaniment to a piping-hot cup of coffee or tea.
- 300 grams flour
- 30 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 1 egg (+ 2 egg yolks)
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 grams butter
- grated lemon peel
- 1 cup milk (warm)
- 80 grams sultanas (soaked in rum)
- bread crumbs
- almonds (Peeled, sliced)
- powdered sugar
- Sift the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Dissolve the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar in some milk and pour it into the well.
- Sprinkle with some of the flour, then cover the bowl and let the yeast mixture in the well rise.
- In the meantime, combine the remaining milk with the melted butter, a pinch of salt, the grated peel of 1 lemon, the vanilla extract, the beaten egg, and the egg yolks.
- As soon as the yeast mixture has formed cracks all over the surface, begin kneading all the ingredients together, except for the sultanas, and knead the dough until it no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise.
- Knead the dough again, adding the drained sultanas.
- Place the dough in the gugelhupf pan, which has been buttered well and then coated in breadcrumbs and almond slices.
- Cover the dough and let it rise until it has almost reached the rim of the pan.
- Bake at 190–200C for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If the surface browns too much, cover it with a sheet of wax paper.
- Let the cake cool, remove it from the pan and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. If you do not serve it immediately, wrap it in aluminum foil.
PER SERVING *
|Calories710Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.