Gugelhupf is Germany's answer to Bundt cakes, with the special cake pan giving the cake its characteristic appearance. The cake is made with a yeast dough that requires rising, so you'll need to allow ample time for that. Grated lemon zest and raisins soaked in rum are flavorful additions, and you may want to serve more rum for sipping alongside. The cake can be kept at room temperature, wrapped well, for two or three days before or after serving.
- 300 grams flour
- 30 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 1 cup milk (warm)
- 1 eggs (+ 2 egg yolks)
- 80 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 grams butter
- grated lemon peel
- 1/2 salt (level tsp.)
- 90 grams sultana (soaked in rum)
- powdered sugar
- 1Sift the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- 2Dissolve the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar in some milk and pour it into the well.
- 3Sprinkle with some of the flour, then cover the bowl and let the yeast mixture in the well rise.
- 4In the meantime, combine the remaining milk with the melted butter, salt, grated lemon peel, vanilla sugar, beaten egg, and egg yolks.
- 5As soon as the yeast mixture has formed cracks all over the surface, begin kneading all the ingredients together, except for the raisins, and knead the dough until it no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- 6Cover the bowl and let the dough rise.
- 7Knead the dough again, adding the drained sultanas.
- 8Place the dough in the well-buttered gugelhupf pan, cover it and let the dough rise until it has almost reach the rim of the pan.
- 9Bake at 190–200C for approximately 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 10If the surface browns too much, cover it with a sheet of wax paper.
- 11Let the cake cool, remove it from the pan and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. If you do not serve it immediately, wrap it in aluminum foil.
PER SERVING *
|Calories610Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.