- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (large, diced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Spike Seasoning (optional)
- 12 ounces crimini mushrooms (brown, chopped in medium-sized pieces)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or use 2 14 oz. cans vegetable broth and 1/2 cup water)
- 4 cups stock (mushroom, I used Better than Bouillon Mushroom Base mixed with water; if you don't want to buy mushroom base, use 4 cups more vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 pound ground turkey (lean)
- black ground pepper
- 2 cups spinach (chopped, or more)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- freshly grated parmesan (for serving, optional)
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Karen Clary 3 Dec 2017
Really good. Savory. Loved the mushrooms and barley.
Brenda G. 20 Mar 2017
I loved it! Great soup when it's freezing in my workroom! I couldn't find mushroom stock so I replaced it with chicken stock. The lemon really adds another layer of flavor! yummy plan to make again!
Cathy 29 Jan 2017
It was simple, tasty and low-calorie! My only complaint is that it was a bit thin/watery, and had a bit too much sodium for me. However, I would definitely make it again!
Lindsey F. 2 Jan 2017
My family loves this. Great recipe! I added another 1/2 cup of the barley. I have 4 boys that are so picky about their meals, and they asked for seconds and thirds!
April Walton 8 Dec 2016
will be a winter staple in our house. the soup didn't need any modifications at all. it's pretty hearty too.
Michele B. 7 May 2016
Awesome soup!! The whole family asks for it again and again. No modifications necessary. Will make as often as I can!
Madi G. 16 Mar 2016
So good and very low calorie. Have already made it twice and with no modifications. I do make sure to grate some Parmesan on top though.