- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions (medium, finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 cups button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs (soft)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 sheets puff pastry (ready-rolled)
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- vegetables (steamed, to serve)
- Heat oil in a small frying pan. Add onions and cook and stir for 10 mins, or until golden. Add half the garlic and cook and stir for 1 min, or until fragrant. Remove from pan. Add mushrooms and remaining garlic to pan and cook for 10 mins, or until liquid evaporates. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine ground beef, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, half the mustard and all the oregano in a medium bowl. Season well with salt and black pepper. Shape into a loaf (about 8 x 4 inches).
- Spread remaining mustard on center of whole pastry sheet. Top with mushroom mixture, then with the loaf. Brush edges of pastry with milk.
- Place the half pastry sheet lengthwise over ground beef. Fold edges of whole pastry sheet up and over loaf to enclose and press edges to seal. Fold in pastry ends, press to seal.
- Carefully place loaf, seam-side down, on prepared tray. Using a small knife, score top a few times to let steam escape. Bake for 40 mins, or until pastry is golden and cooked through. Cool for 5 mins. Slice. Serve with steamed vegetables.
|Calories580Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.