- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 7 ounces fennel (about 1/2 a medium bulb, sliced)
- 4 watermelon (large, "steaks")
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan without oil for about 5 minutes until crispy on both sides then remove and drain on paper towels.
- Mix the vinegar or lemon juice and oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the fennel and leave to marinate for a few minutes.
- Heat a grill pan (or outdoor grill) and cook the melon pieces over high heat for about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and serve with the pickled fennel. Crumble the crispy bacon over the top.