This savory Grilled Vegetable Flatbread will please all vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Made with yeast, the flatbread is thick and fluffy with a light crumb. Topped with sliced freshly roasted eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and crushed tomato, the flatbread is then drizzled with a mixture of crushed garlic and olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Bake time is 12-20 minutes depending on the oven. You want the edge of the flatbread to be golden in color.
- 100 grams milk
- 150 grams water
- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 10 grams yeast
- 50 grams vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggplant (halved)
- 2 red bell pepper (halved)
- 2 onions (peeled and halved)
- 2 tomatoes (small, optional)
- 1 garlic cloves (peeled and mashed)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the eggplant, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and garlic on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the vegetables 30 to 40 minutes then remove them to a covered container to sweat and cool.
- While the vegetables roast, make the crust. In a large bowl, add the milk, water, 200 gr. flour, sugar, and yeast. Let sit until bubbles start to form on the surface showing the yeast has proofed. Then, add the remaining flour, oil, and salt and mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, divide it in 2, and roll it out into an oval or rectangle shape small enough to fit on a baking sheet. Leave the edges thicker than the middle to be able to hold the filling. Refrigerate the other half for another day.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- Once the vegetables have cooled, peel the eggplant and bell pepper and cut them into strips. Slice the onions and crush the tomatoes. Place everything on the dough within the borders.
- Separately, mash the garlic with the side of the knife or in a mortar and pestle. Mix with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and drizzle onto the top of the flatbread.
- Sprinkle the top with salt and bake 12 to 20 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories770Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.