- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper
- 10 tomatillos (medium green, outer skin removed)
- 2 jalapeno chiles (small)
- 1 onion (large, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped, plus additional for garnish)
- Butterfly pork tenderloin lengthwise. Flatten pork with the palm of your hand to achieve even thickness. cover with oil and season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Grill tomatillos, jalapenos and onion for about 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, until soft. Remove vegetables from grill. Seed and stem jalapenos. Add tomatoes, jalapenos and half the onions to a blender or food processor; blend until mixture becomes a thick paste. Transfer to a serving dish and mix in water and cilantro, adding, adding salt to taste.
- Place pork on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side (about 20 minutes total time), until internal temperature as measured with an instant-read thermometer is 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a 3-minute rest time. Slice pork and arrange on a warm serving tray. Spoon some of the tomatillo mixture over the pork and decorate with the remaining grilled onions. Garnish with cilantro. Serve pork with remaining sauce.