- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3/4 inch fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 green chili (small, deseeded, finely chopped)
- 2 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 21 ounces tuna steaks
- 1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves (fresh)
- steamed rice (to serve)
- Heat oil in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds. Just as they begin to pop, add ginger, chili and curry leaves. Cook for 1-2 mins, until fragrant. Set aside to cool completely.
- Rub turmeric onto both sides of tuna steaks. Place in a shallow bowl and cover with fragrant oil. Cover and chill for 1 hour to marinate.
- Preheat a cast iron grill pan over high heat. Cook tuna steaks for 2 mins per side, or until cooked to your liking. Top with red onion and cilantro. Serve with rice.