- 8 sardines (medium-sized fresh, or frozen, thawed thoroughly)
- 1/2 handful coarse sea salt
- 2 large potatoes (like russets)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus ¼ cup)
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- white pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1 slice cucumber (optional)
- Scale and gut the sardines (you can have your fishmonger do this).
- Wash the sardines under cold, running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly salt the sardines with coarse sea salt and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, boil 2 potatoes until a knife is easily inserted. Drain and cool.
- Roast 2 green bell peppers over an open flame until charred. Place in a bowl and cover it with plastic to allow it to steam for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the plastic and peel and seed the peppers.
- Cut peppers into 3-inch wide strips and combine in bowl with 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/8 cup white wine vinegar, onion, and garlic.
- Add tomato (sliced) , onion (sliced) and cucumber. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat a grill or barbecue.
- Place the sardines on a hot grill
- When the sardines are done on first side
- Place 4 sardines on each plate with 2 potato halves and some green pepper salad.
- For decoration and extra flavour, drizzle with remaining olive oil.