With two grilled romaine hearts flavored with lemon, pancetta, and parmesan cheese, this recipe reinvents the traditional pub salad. Charred and drizzled with dressing, it’s inspired by Gordon Ramsay’s efforts to return a legendary Allentown restaurant to its 1970s glory for episode 2 of Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back.
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pancetta (cooked)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Slice the romaine hearts and lemon in half and coat lightly with vegetable oil. Grill the lettuce and lemon cut side down for 5 minutes or until charred.
- In a small mixing bowl squeeze the juice out of the charred lemon (discarding any seeds). Then add in the vinegar, parsley, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until it emulsifies.
- Plate the salad by placing each half on a plate, drizzle on the vinaigrette and sprinkle on the pancetta and parmesan. Add more freshly ground black pepper if desired.