Grilled Radicchio Layers with Pienza Pecorino CheeseL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Bitter, grilled radicchio is layered with Pecorino di Pienza, a unique sheep’s milk cheese named for the ancient city of Pienza. Considered the region's best Pecorino since the sheep are left to graze on rare, wild flora, which in turn imparts flavor. If you can't get your hands on this cheese, however, you can substitute Parmesan or Asiago. Once layered, the dish is transfered to the microwave to cook until the cheese melts.
- pecorino cheese (Semi-aged Pienza, may substitute with parmesan or asiago cheese)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Wash each leaf of radicchio individually and grill them on a hot griddle.
- 2Cut the Pecorino cheese into small pieces.
- 3Grease a baking dish with some extra virgin olive oil.
- 4Make a layer of grilled radicchio leaves, add a pinch of salt, some oil, and some pieces of cheese.
- 5Continue repeating these steps in making the layers until all the grilled radicchio has been used.
- 6Complete the top layer with a few pieces of cheese.
- 7Place the baking dish in the microwave for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
- 8Serve hot.