Grilled Pork Burritos with Salsa VerdePork
- 1 pound pork loin chops (boneless, about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds tomatillos (fresh, husks discarded, rinsed and patted dry)
- 1 jalapeno chilies
- 1 avocado (ripe, pitted, peeled and chopped)
- 2/3 cup white onion (or yellow onion, chopped)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves (packed)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 flour tortillas ("burrito sized" 10-inch, or whole grain tortillas)
- 16 ounces fat-free refried beans (heated*)
- 1 cup cooked white rice (heated)
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend (reduced-fat, four cheese, shredded)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- lime wedges (for serving)
- 1For Salsa Verde: Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat, about 450 degrees F. Place tomatillos and jalapeño on grill grate and cook, with the lid closed, turning them occasionally, until jalapeño skin is blackened and blistered (about 5 minutes) and tomatillos are browned but not bursting (7 to 9 minutes). Transfer them to a bowl as they are done, and let cool. Scrape and discard skin from jalapeño. Seed jalapeño, reserving seeds.
- 2 Pulse avocado, tomatillos and any juices, jalapeño (without seeds), onion, cilantro, oil, garlic, salt and sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth.For a spicier salsa, add seeds.Transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to very low to keep salsa warm. Extra salsa can be stored in the refrigerator and kept up to 3 days.
- 3To make pork: Lightly oil grill grate. Brush pork with oil and season with chili powder and salt. Grill pork over medium-high heat, with lid closed, about 4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches between 145 degrees F. (medium rare) to 160 degrees F. (medium) on a digital meat thermometer. Remove from grill and let rest for 3 minutes.
- 4 Place tortillas on grill grate and cook until heated, about 30 seconds per side. Remove from grill and wrap in a napkin to keep warm.
- 5 To assemble burrito: Chop pork into bite-sized pieces.For each burrito, spread 2 tablespoons of beans in a wide strip on center of tortilla.Top with rice and cheese, evenly distributed between the burritos, and 1/6 of chopped pork. Sprinkle with cilantro. Fold in right and left sides, and roll up tortilla from the bottom. Transfer each to a dinner plate.Smother each with one sixth of warm salsa, add lime wedges and serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.