While usually cut from the loin area, both cubes and strips can also be from the shoulder or fresh leg.
- 2 pounds pork loin roast, boneless (Cut Into 3/4-Inch Cubes)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (Toasted Or Sliced Almonds)
- fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic (Crushed)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (Divided)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (Freshly Ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (Ground)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup marinade (Reserved)
- 16 dried apricots (Mediterranean Covered With Hot Water To Plump, For 5 Minutes)
- 1/2 red onion (Large, Peeled And Cut Into 1-Inch Chunks)
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- For marinade, place all ingredients, except the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, in blender and blend to form a thick paste. Remove marinade paste to medium bowl; add remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice to blender container, blend to remove any remaining paste, add to bowl and stir. Reserve 1/4 cup marinade for sauce and add pork cubes to bowl; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- For couscous, place couscous in large bowl, stir in currants and salt. Pour boiling water over and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside while grilling kebabs.
- For kabobs, prepare medium-hot fire in grill. Thread pork onto skewers, alternating with apricots and pieces of onion. Grill kabobs, turning to brown evenly, for a total of about 8-12 minutes, until very nicely browned. Remove kabobs from grill, keep warm and prepare sauce: combine jam, chicken broth and reserved marinade in small saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until syrupy.
- Spoon couscous onto serving platter, sprinkle with pine nuts. Arrange kabobs on top of couscous, spoon sauce over kabobs, garnish with cilantro and serve.