Finding the right combination of tart, tangy, rich, tasty and healthy is not easy when you need a quick and easy side dish for a last minute dinner. This Grilled Lettuce with Cotija Cheese is the perfect paring for a summer barbecue. If grilling is not on the agenda, then a skillet will do just fine. The dressing is simple. It is added to grilled romaine lettuce, which is topped with bacon and cotija or farmer cheese.
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ground black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- farmer cheese (or cotija, roughly chopped)
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on low heat until it becomes brown. Set aside 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. Remove and bacon, drain away excess grease, and cut into small strips.
- Add grease to a bowl with oil, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the lettuce lengthwise and place it on a grill or in a skillet. Cook or grill lettuce for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the lettuce on a tray and pour the dressing on it.
- Sprinkle the bacon and cheese on the lettuce and serve.