Experience the mild flavor of mozzarella melted over the savory taste of eggplant. This dish is loaded with garlic, basil, onions, and tomatoes that will excite your taste buds with every bite. You can serve this casserole with a side of any vegetable, or you can dress it up by sprinkling shredded greens over the top.
- 3 eggplants (thinly sliced)
- 300 grams mozzarella (drained and grated)
- olive oil
- 125 grams parmesan (grated)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 15 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 400 grams canned tomatoes (whole)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 basil leaves
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius.
- Salt and pepper the eggplant slices and place in one layer into the bottom of two baking sheets. Drizzle with oil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Saute the onion in olive oil until soft and transparent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, mashing with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sugar, salt, and pepper, and cook until the sauce reduces and thickens. Add the basil.
- Grease a baking dish and place the first sheet of baked eggplant on the bottom. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella and layer with half of the tomato sauce and half the parmesan cheese. Repeat once more, ending with the tomato sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the rest of the parmesan and sprinkle on top. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 180 Celsius for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories640Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.