Prepare the onion marmalade ahead of time to take along for a tailgate party or autumn picnic. Don’t forget the brownies for dessert at halftime. Serve with a variety of mustards, soft hoagie rolls to hold the brats and onion marmalade, German potato salad and pickled vegetables.
- 12 bratwurst
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 sweet onions (large, chopped)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a large deep skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add wine, vinegar and sugar, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. The onions should be slightly caramelized. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over fire, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from grill and serve with marmalade.