- 4 brats (uncooked)
- 2 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onions (large, sliced)
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup bread and butter pickles
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (chopped)
- In large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add beer and brown sugar and cook over medium high heat until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking until the onion turns a golden brown, stirring constantly. Stir in bacon, pickles and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over heat, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes and to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Remove from grill and top with onion relish.