Ribeye steaks are one of the most incredible cuts of beef there is, with a perfect balance of tenderness, meatiness, and marbling. When you’re grilling steaks this gorgeous, you want to season them very simply (here, just salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and let the taste of the meat and the fire shine. A seasoned butter that takes just 5 minutes enhances the juiciness and adds pops of flavor. The recipe is designed especially for the Yummly Smart Thermometer, but if you don’t have one, check the meat's temperature using an instant-read. The recipe is a Yummly original created by David Bonom.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt (divided)
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 bone-in ribeye steak (each 1 to 1 1/2 pounds and 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick)
- Combine butter, shallot, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; mash together with a fork. Wrap mixture in a small piece of plastic wrap or wax paper. Twist ends of the paper to form the butter into a small cylinder about 2 inches long. Freeze at least 15 minutes or up to 2 weeks (to freeze the butter beyond 1 day, transfer it to an airtight container).
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, the black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Rub the mixture over both sides of the steaks (depending on the size of the steaks and how much seasoning you like, you may not use it all) and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a grill for high heat (450° to 550°). Following the insertion guide on the Yummly Thermometer app, insert the thermometer horizontally into a steak until the metal is completely covered.
- Grill steaks 2 minutes with the lid closed, then rotate 1/4 turn. Grill 2 minutes longer. Turn steaks over (or flip when directed to by the thermometer app) and cook 2 minutes; rotate the steaks 1/4 turn. Grill until steaks are as done as you like, 1 to 2 minutes longer for medium-rare (130°). Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- Cut the shallot butter into 4 slices and top each steak with 2 portions, then slice the meat.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories460Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes