- 1 green tomatoes (peck, sliced)
- 4 green peppers (sliced)
- 4 onions (larges, sliced)
- 1 ounce whole cloves
- 1 ounce cinnamon
- 2 pounds brown sugar
- Slice one peck of green tomatoes and four green peppers. Place vegetables in a stone jar in layers, sprinkling each layer thickly with salt.
- Cover with boiling water and let stand over night.
- Drain in the morning through a colander. Add four large onions, sliced, along with an ounce of whole cloves, one ounce of cinnamon, and two pounds of brown sugar.
- Place all together in a preserving kettle and nearly cover with vinegar. Boil slowly until the ingredients are tender. Set away in a jar.
- The next day, if the syrup seems thin, drain it off and boil down. Cover top of jar with a cloth before setting away.