- 1 1/2 whole roasting chicken (kgs, 3lbs)
- 225 milliliters coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons green curry paste
- 2 sprigs citrus leaves (tender)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons green chilies
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- Divide the chicken into joints.
- Heat a cupful of coconut cream (scooped off the top of the milk, after it has been left to stand for a while) in a large heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until the cream thickens and oil bubbles around. By this time it should be reduced to a quarter of the original amount.
- Add the curry paste and fry the rich oily cream for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. The curry paste will smell cooked, and the oil will separate from it when it is ready.
- When this happens add the pieces of chicken and cook over a medium low heat, stirring frequently and turning them, for about 15 minutes. The chicken will change color and have a cooked appearance.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, citrus leaves, salt and fish sauce and stir while the coconut milk comes to the boil.
- Then turn the heat down and allow to simmer uncovered for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is well cooked and tender and the gravy is rich.
- Stir in the chopped fresh chillies and herbs, simmer for 5 minutes longer and then turn onto a serving dish. Serve with rice.