Finding the perfect side dish to your favorite chicken or fish dinner can be tricky when there are so many recipes out there. This Green Peppers with Onion and Grilled Panela Cheese is a savory and hearty dish. The cheese is grilled to perfection for a crispy outside and creamy center. The peppers are perfect. Ingredients include green peppers, olive oil, purple onion, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, ground basil, tomatoes, panela or mozzarella cheese and cooking spray.
- 2 green peppers (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (ground)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 piece cheese (panela, may substitute mozzarella)
- cooking spray
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute the pepper and onion on medium heat, stirring from time to time until the onion begins to brown, approximately 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and a little water, cover the skillet and cook on low heat for 4 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Separately, spritz a skillet with cooking spray and grill the cheese until slightly golden. Serve along with the cooked vegetables.