Stuffed with tender white wine baked chicken and plenty of manchego cheese, these Green Pepper and Chicken Enchiladas are covered in a savory roasted green peppers sauce. Made with roasted green peppers and tomatoes, this sauce has a sweet and smoky flavor that balances the heat brought by the green chile peppers. You can adjust how much chile pepper you add to suit your individual taste. You can make these enchiladas the traditional way in a casserole dish, or you can individually plate them, see instructions in recipe for the latter option.
- 750 grams green bell pepper
- 250 grams green tomatoes
- 1 onions (small, chopped)
- 1 garlic cloves (chopped)
- vegetable oil
- 2 green chilies (in brine, chopped)
- 1 lime
- 0.5 liters vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless)
- olive oil
- white wine
- 200 grams manchego cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roast the bell peppers and tomatoes until the skin blackens. Remove from the oven and place in a saucepan. Cover and set aside.
- Once cool, peel the peppers and tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in vegetable oil.
- In the blender, add the peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chili peppers. Puree until smooth.
- Place in the saucepan and add the lime juice, broth, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and add to the saucepan. Cook for another 10 minutes to thicken.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200 C.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and brush with olive oil. Bake with a drizzle of white wine for 20 minutes. Once done, chop or shred.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Lightly fry the tortillas in 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 C.
- To plate each serving, add some sauce on an ovenproof plate. Place a tortilla over the sauce. Add more sauce and some of the chicken and cheese. Repeat the process and finish with a third tortilla (3 per person). Add more sauce and sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve.