Green Pepper and Chicken EnchiladasEl invitado de invierno
Stuffed with tender white wine baked chicken and plenty of manchego cheese, these Green Pepper and Chicken Enchiladas are covered in a savory roasted green peppers sauce. Made with roasted green peppers and tomatoes, this sauce has a sweet and smoky flavor that balances the heat brought by the green chile peppers. You can adjust how much chile pepper you add to suit your individual taste. You can make these enchiladas the traditional way in a casserole dish, or you can individually plate them, see instructions in recipe for the latter option.
- 750 grams green bell pepper
- 250 grams green tomatoes
- 1 onions (small, chopped)
- 1 garlic cloves (chopped)
- vegetable oil
- 2 green chilies (in brine, chopped)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 liter vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless)
- olive oil
- white wine
- 200 grams manchego cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Roast the bell peppers and tomatoes until the skin blackens. Remove from the oven and place in a saucepan. Cover and set aside.
- 3Once cool, peel the peppers and tomatoes.
- 4In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in vegetable oil.
- 5In the blender, add the peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chili peppers. Puree until smooth.
- 6Place in the saucepan and add the lime juice, broth, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 7Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and add to the saucepan. Cook for another 10 minutes to thicken.
- 8Increase the oven temperature to 200 C.
- 9Season the chicken breasts with salt and brush with olive oil. Bake with a drizzle of white wine for 20 minutes. Once done, chop or shred.
- 10Grate the cheese and set aside.
- 11Lightly fry the tortillas in 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil.
- 12Lower the oven temperature to 180 C.
- 13To plate each serving, add some sauce on an ovenproof plate. Place a tortilla over the sauce. Add more sauce and some of the chicken and cheese. Repeat the process and finish with a third tortilla (3 per person). Add more sauce and sprinkle with cheese on top.
- 14Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- 15Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve.