- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils (brown lentils work in a pinch)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 fresh thyme (bushy sprig)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 tablespoons butter (vegetable or coconut oil)
- 1 onion (large, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg (a pinch of freshly-)
- 1 cup coconut milk (or to taste, I normally use a whole 14oz/400ml can which makes a slightly richer soup)
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach (~7oz/200g, chard or kale, washed, tough stems discarded and cut into ribbons, optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
|Calories590Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Rosinia 6 days ago
Delicious! I highly recommend this soup.
Teresa K. 11 days ago
So delicious! I’ll make it again
Sam 12 days ago
Too watery so next time will reduce the stock amount and see if any better.
Elinore 21 days ago
So good and so easy! I added carrots to the onion mixture, pinch of salt to the lentils, and a couple of dashes of cayenne to the herbs. So nourishing.
Jamie 25 days ago
Still simmering but the flavor is amazing!
Ashley Albert 12 Jan
Great. I would make it again!
Azania stewart 10 Jan
Very easy to make and very tasty!!! I was really happy how it turned out :)
Madison Rogers 7 Jan
Fantastic flavor! I wanted a thicker consistency so only put in about 32 oz of broth in. Definitely keep an eye on the lentils because I left them for too long and they were a bit softer than I wanted :) Serving it over True Root’s lime rice to give it some acidity.
Sabina A. 7 Jan
Very yummy. I’ve made this twice recently and enjoyed it both times. I used a 1/4 tsp thyme instead of fresh sprig since that’s all I had on hand. I also used a can of unsweetened coconut milk each time. I thought the simmering with lid off allowed it to thicken. I prefer adding the green (used baby spinach and baby kale) just prior to serving, otherwise if keeping in fridge for a couple of days it gets too soggy.
Mary P. 14 Dec 2018
Great to make on a cold rainy day.. so rich and tasty!
Carol C. 22 Aug 2018
Yum I added more garlic cause I love garlic next time I would probably do 5 cups of veggie broth instead of six so it would be more stew like but again yum
Asiah C. 8 Jul 2018
Didnt taste it yet. Meal prep meal. Smella good though
Chris 9 Nov 2017
So freaking good and a great base to add more veggies to it! Hubby loved it
Michael V. 29 Jan 2017
Awesome! This is a great all-year-round soup. Hearty enough to be a main meal. I also experiment with adding other veg alongside spinach or chard.