Green Eggs & Ham SushiPork
Ham typically refers to meat from the hind leg that has been either wet-cured or dry-cured and often is smoked.
- 2 cups short grain sushi rice
- 2 cups water (Plus 2 Tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (Thawed)
- 3 eggs (Beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 4 roasted seaweed (7 1/2X9-Inch Sheet, Sushi Nori)
- sushi rice
- 8 slices smoked ham (Fully Cooked, Or Honey Ham)
- spinach-egg filling
- 1To make sushi rice, place rice in fine-mesh colander and rinse well to remove excess starch; drain. Transfer to a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan. Add water. Cover with tight fitting lid and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low or medium-low. Very gently simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- 2Transfer rice to a large baking dish or bowl. Slightly cool. Sprinkle with rice vinegar; toss until combined. Cool to room temperature. Cover with damp towel to prevent rice from drying out.
- 3Meanwhile, for spinach-egg filling, squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Finely chop spinach. Combine spinach, eggs, and salt in small bowl. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add spinach-egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still glossy. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- 4To assemble sushi rolls: For each roll, place seaweed sheet, shiny side down, on bamboo matt. Using wet hands, spread a scant 1 1/4 cups sushi rice evenly on seaweed sheet to within 3/4 inch of edge nearest you and opposite side. Place 1 1/2 or 2 slices of ham across the center of the rice. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of spinach-egg mixture in a strip across the ham.
- 5Use bamboo matt to lift and tightly roll sushi, jelly-roll style. Shape roll by lightly pressing roll together with damp hands. If desired, tightly wrap sushi rolls in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. To serve, using a wet knife, slice each roll into 6 to 8 pieces. Makes 24-32 pieces
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.