- 8 ounces corn husks
- 1 pound tomatillos (husks removed)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 1/2 cups masa harina
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup lard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked shredded pork (preferably from shoulder)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place corn husks in large stockpot and cover with water. Weight down with plate to keep husks submerged. Soak 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatillos, jalapeño peppers and garlic on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and broil until tomatillos are charred on all sides, turning as needed, 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Transfer everything to blender or food processor (including juice) and process until pureed. Pour into a saucepan and add stock. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine masa harina and warm water in large bowl. Place lard, salt and baking powder in bowl of stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in masa harina in 4 additions. Gradually add stock on low speed, forming a soft dough.
- Mix together ingredients in large bowl.
- Tear 3 large husks into ¼-inch-wide strips to use as ties and set aside. Open 2 large husks on work surface. Spread ¼ cup dough in 4-inch square in center of each husk, leaving 2- to 3-inch border at narrow end of husk. Spoon heaping tablespoon filling in strip down center of each dough square. Fold long sides of husk and dough over filling to cover. Fold up both ends of husk and tie with strips of husks. Repeat with remaining husks.
- Set the Smart Oven+ Attachment base pan with heating element and Steamer Water Basin.
- Pan on the oven rack. Fill Water Basin Pan with 4 cups of water, cover with Lid and place in oven. Select STEAM mode and preheat for 10 minutes.
- Arrange tamales on Perforated Steamer Tray and place Tray in Water Basin Pan; cover with Lid. Steam for about 45 minutes, until firm. Serve immediately or at room temp with Green Chili Sauce.