Chilaquiles has been a staple of Mexican cuisine since the late 1800s. It is a versatile dish that you can make with only a few ingredients, in only a few minutes. We’re going green and meatless with our version of this classic. Green salsa rehydrates our slightly stale chips and we bulk up the base by tossing in some random veg. The pan is topped with eggs that are cooked until runny then adorned with fresh onion and a herby crema. And yes, you heard us correctly. We said pan, one pan, as in one pan dinner. You’re welcome.
- 1 leek
- 1 portabella mushroom
- 3 cups green salsa (or whatever salsa you have)
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup crema
- 1/2 red onion
- vegetable oil (staple)
- salt (staple)
- chili flakes (optional - for more heat)
- sour cream (optional - in place of crema)
- Heat things up - Grab a large pan and place over medium high heat. Drizzle some veg oil into your pan.
- Cut stuff up - Trim the green top and white root off of the leek. Working with just the white part, slice in half long-ways and lay both halves flat on your board. Now slice the leek into half moon shaped pieces and add them to your pan. Remove the stems from your mushroom (save for stock!). Now, using a spoon, scrape the ribs off the underside of the mushroom cap. Those ribs are laced with moisture and will prevent the mushroom from browning. Thinly slice your mushroom cap and add it to the pan.
- Chips and salsa - Add your salsa to the pan. If you want more heat, toss in some chili flakes as well. Season with salt. Dump your chips onto a cutting board and crush into small pieces (maybe the size of postage stamps). Add your chips to the pan, toss to combine, and bring to a boil.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories820Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes