This classic Portuguese-style stew combines kale with chorizo and potatoes in a hearty meal in one. Be sure to buy dried chorizo that is fully cooked; you can use fresh sausage instead, but you will need to cook it fully through first. Rather than being made with chicken or other store-bought stock, you make your own broth by pureeing the potatoes with their cooking water, which contains the natural starches from the potatoes.
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 garlic clove
- olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage (skinless and sliced)
- 250 milliliters water
- 500 grams potatoes
- ground black pepper
- 100 grams kale (finely chopped)
- Chop the onion and garlic coarsely.
- Heat a large saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil, add the onion, garlic, and chorizo.
- Braise well.
- Remove the chorizo, and set aside.
- Add the water and potatoes to the pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, grind with a hand blender.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Put back on the stove on medium heat and add the kale.
- Cook until the kale is very soft.
- Serve hot with slices of chorizo.