Greek Islands Pork KabobsPork
Create a Mediterranean breeze filled with the aromas of these kabobs. Use pita bread to create sandwiches and serve with cooked bulghur (cracked wheat) and Cucumber and Red Pepper Salad. For a real treat, purchase Greek honey cakes from a speciality store.
- 1 pound boneless pork loin roast (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 loaves pita bread (halved)
- 8 ounces plain yogurt (carton)
- 1 cucumber (large, peeled, seeded and diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1Stir together the lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme, garlic, black pepper, salt and red pepper. Place pork cubes in a self-sealing bag; pour lemon marinade over pork cubes, seal bag and refrigerate overnight. Remove pork cubes from marinade (discard remaining marinade); thread pork onto skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for an hour to prevent burning). Broil or grill for a total of 10-12 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Serve pork cubes in or alongside pita bread, topping with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce.
- 2Serves 4.
- 3Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce: Peel, seed and dice one large cucumber. Let cubes drain on a piece of paper toweling for 10 minutes. Mix cucumber cubes with yogurt, seasoned salt, cumin, black pepper and cilantro. If made ahead, cover and refrigerate until serving time.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.