- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns (finely ground)
- 1/3 cup sea salt flakes
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 3 3/4 pounds salmon (cut into two fillets, deboned)
- Combine pepper, salt, sugar and dill. Place 1 salmon fillet, skin-side down, in a large shallow baking dish. Spread salt mixture over fillet, pressing down firmly. Place remaining fillet on top, skin-side up, pressing together gently.
- Wrap in plastic wrap then place a small cutting board or plate on top. Add 2 lb of weight (e.g., 2-3 cans), cover with more plastic wrap and chill for 2 days. About every 12 hours, uncover and flip salmon fillets over. Spoon any juices that have collected over top.
- Remove salmon from brine. Trim edges then cut into very thin slices.