When thinking of comfort foods, some main criteria include cheese and depth. This Gratinated Onion Soup recipe is just the thing to provide a tasty, comforting meal on a cold and rainy day. It takes time to make so it is perfect for that lazy Sunday afternoon. It can sit on the stove, simmering the afternoon away while providing the home with aromas that will have the family begging for a bowl. All that’s needed are eight ingredients: Onions, butter, water, white wine, rusk, gruyere cheese, salt and pepper.
- 500 grams onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 liters water
- 2 deciliters white wine
- rusks (to taste)
- gruyere cheese (grated)
- ground black pepper
- Cut the onions into thin slices, and brown lightly in the butter over low heat.
- If you prefer a thicker broth, sprinkle the onions with a tablespoon of flour.
- Add the water and wine, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Arrange the rusks in oven-proof serving platters, and spread 1/2 of each individual portion of the sliced cheese on top.
- Drizzle with the onion broth, and add the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake to gratin, or cheese is golden.
- Gruyere and Emmental cheeses are the best suited for this soup. However, you may replace them with any other processed cheese.
- You may also replace the water with meat or vegetable broth.