Gratin Potatoes and ZucchiniMarmita
The key to any successful gratin is to slice the potatoes and other vegetables (such as the zucchini in this recipe) as thinly as possible, all the better to soak up the cream and seasonings during baking. A Japanese style mandolin or other adjustable-blade slicer does the job beautifully, otherwise you'll need to use a very sharp chef's knife. A mixture of eggs and cream fraiche lends incredible richness to this decadent gratin.
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 eggs
- 200 milliliters crème fraîche
- 1 fresh mozzarella cheese (ball)
- margarine (as desired)
- sea salt
- coriander powder
- 1Cut the potatoes and zucchini as finely as possible and add a clove of garlic. Grease the baking dish with butter and place the potato and zucchini pieces, alternating with coarse pieces of shredded mozzarella, in the dish.
- 2Whisk the eggs and season to taste (I used sea salt, freshly ground pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and coriander powder), stir again, add the crême fraîche and chives.
- 3Pour the egg mixture over the baking dish and sprinkle a little more mozzarella pieces and chives on top. Cook in the oven at 392ºF for 45 minutes.