You can add other whole grains to granola besides oats, such as the quinoa and rye that are both included in this version. Maple syrup and shredded coconut contribute sweetness, along with dried cranberries that are tossed in after baking, and which also lend welcome bursts of tartness. Be sure to give the granola a good stir every now and then while it's in the oven to ensure it cooks evenly.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rye flakes
- 1/2 cup almonds (and walnuts pieces)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds (white and)
- 1/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a bowl combine the oats, rye, nuts, seeds, quinoa and coconut. Mix well.
- Add the cinnamon and maple syrup and mix well. Spread granola on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 320ºF, until golden brown (about 25-30 minutes), stirring every 10 minutes to prevent sticking and to brown evenly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut dried cranberries in half and stir into the granola.
- Store in airtight containers.