Granola lends a wonderful crunchy texture to these muffins, and it's actually mixed into the batter as well as being used in the topping. Grated apple is also mixed into the batter for taste and textural contrast, while yogurt and coconut oil imparts more flavor and much moistness. But these muffins really get their distinctive taste from rye flour, and not in combination with other types of flour which is the norm. Serve them warm for breakfast on the go or as part of a leisurely brunch.
- 1/2 cup granola (homemade)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine (cut into small cubes)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 container plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple (grated)
- 3/4 cup granola (homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease some muffin tins and set aside.
- Start by preparing the topping.
- Combine the granola, flour, brown sugar, and margarine in a bowl and mix with your fingertips until it turns into coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the dark brown sugar, yogurt, and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add the rye flour, baking powder, and cinnamon until just combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Then add the apple and granola, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter in the muffin tins without overfilling them and sprinkle a generous amount of the topping over each one.
- Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.