Goxua is a traditional dessert from the Basque country. Drawing inspiration from the traditional recipe, this recipe for Goxua features thin light sponge cake, creamy custard, light and fluffy whipped cream, and homemade caramel. To assemble place freshly whipped cream in a glass and top with a circle of the sponge cake dipped in rum. Top the cake disc with custard and then finish it off with a drizzle of caramel for a sweet and creamy dessert that will end your meal on a delicious note.
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 500 milliliters milk
- 30 grams corn flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 130 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500 milliliters whipping cream (cold)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- wine (Sweet, or rum)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray, 25 x 30 centimeters with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until light and frothy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Spread the mixture over the baking tray to a thickness of 1 centimeter.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set.
- Leave to cool and then remove the parchment paper.
- Dilute the cornflour in a cup of milk until smooth and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the remaining milk, sugar, and vanilla.
- Heat gently and then add the cornflour and stir continuously until it thickens.
- Leave to cool and set aside.
- Whip the cream while adding the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until firm. Set aside.
- Using a glass as a cutter, cut out circles of sponge.
- Place a spoonful of whipped cream into a dessert glass, followed by a sponge circle dipped in sweet wine or rum, and top with the custard cream.
- Place the sugar in a heavy pan and heat on medium until the sugar begins to melt and change color.
- Remove from the heat and allow to continue to melt with just the heat of the pan. Move the pan from side to side but do not stir with a spoon.
- Decorate each glass with a drizzle of caramel.
PER SERVING *
|Calories770Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.