Goxua (Basque Cream Dessert)La Cocina de Babel
Goxua is a traditional dessert from the Basque country. Drawing inspiration from the traditional recipe, this recipe for Goxua features thin light sponge cake, creamy custard, light and fluffy whipped cream, and homemade caramel. To assemble place freshly whipped cream in a glass and top with a circle of the sponge cake dipped in rum. Top the cake disc with custard and then finish it off with a drizzle of caramel for a sweet and creamy dessert that will end your meal on a delicious note.
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 500 milliliters milk
- 30 grams corn flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 130 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500 milliliters whipping cream (cold)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- wine (Sweet, or rum)
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Line a baking tray, 25 x 30 centimeters with parchment paper.
- 3Beat the eggs with the sugar until light and frothy.
- 4Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture, stirring continuously until smooth.
- 5Spread the mixture over the baking tray to a thickness of 1 centimeter.
- 6Bake for 10 minutes or until set.
- 7Leave to cool and then remove the parchment paper.
- 8Dilute the cornflour in a cup of milk until smooth and set aside.
- 9Beat the egg yolks with the remaining milk, sugar, and vanilla.
- 10Heat gently and then add the cornflour and stir continuously until it thickens.
- 11Leave to cool and set aside.
- 12Whip the cream while adding the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until firm. Set aside.
- 13Using a glass as a cutter, cut out circles of sponge.
- 14Place a spoonful of whipped cream into a dessert glass, followed by a sponge circle dipped in sweet wine or rum, and top with the custard cream.
- 15Place the sugar in a heavy pan and heat on medium until the sugar begins to melt and change color.
- 16Remove from the heat and allow to continue to melt with just the heat of the pan. Move the pan from side to side but do not stir with a spoon.
- 17Decorate each glass with a drizzle of caramel.
PER SERVING *
|Calories770Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.